What if Augustus does even better than OTL?

Julia the Elder could born as male so now Augustus then would has son. Augustus then could groom him as his successor. With good luck this could produce bit longer stability altough probably Caesar Dynasty not last very long. Roman dynasties had generally pretty poor life expectacy. In few generations there probably will be emperor who ruins everything and yet manage to kill all of his relatives like Nero did in OTL.
that's true roman dynasties almost always were: the first one is a great ruler and then his successors are progressively less competent until one finally gets himself killed along his family or childless and then the generals start to fight until one becomes emperor and then the cycle repeats again or we have the third century crisis

3: the major silver deposits of the balkans discovered (in otl not until 16th century I think) and worked extensively reducing the trade imbalance with the east (China loves silver, so the east loves silver)
You likely made the imbalance worse, not better, as Rome now has even more silver to spend.
That said, I think he already did exceptionally, considering how he managed to stabilize Rome's tumultous Late Republic in the Principate.

You likely made the imbalance worse, not better, as Rome now has even more silver to spend.
That said, I think he already did exceptionally, considering how he managed to stabilize Rome's tumultous Late Republic in the Principate.
Possibly…….
If they spend it on the Far Eastern trade maybe not….:
It will most certainly develop the balkans more…..
Yes he did but there is always room for more luck and improvement when it comes to empires….
And if the silver lasts long enough the byzantines will appreciate it as well….

One thought that has always confused me especially about the initial period of Pax Romana is why there was never a school of officers? They had schools of medicine and philosophy both natural and metaphysical so why not military?
I know the system as it stood was one of military apprenticship/sponsorship/patron-client essentially but a central school in Rome idea (they had the texts and the veterans to teach afterall)
This could lead to a general staff system divorced from
Personal loyalty somewhat
Do you have any sources for those schools? That kind of stuff is interesting to me.

Do you have any sources for those schools? That kind of stuff is interesting to me.
Hi, alas not off the top of my head, however look into where Galen went to school and from memory that was a school of medicine on a Greek island and in various cities. Natural philosophy schools would have to be associated with the library of Alexandria is one name drop.