Exocet - the Effects of a different Falklands

And... OTL around that times MOC made a desition to give 2014 Olimpics to Russia.
As I understand, TTL, after Belarus and Crimea, it would removed from the table? It would be interesting to give 2014 Olimpics to OTHER Post-Soviet Nation, may be Kazakhstan Medeu/Almaty, or Georgian Bakuriani (these names were called in the context of Sochi possible concurents) ?
Or made Games sill held in Russia, but... in Belarus Authonomous Republic, in Lahoysk near Minsk, or other such place? It would be the most scandalous Olimpics in a Century, but....)))
I'm not sure if I posted this earlier.

KOHP6sy.png

No Russian Olympics, but Almaty gets the Winter Olympics in 2018. After the spectacle of the 2016 Olympic Games (China pulls out all the stops), it was a pretty forgettable games (and compared to the previous Winter Games held in reunified Korea)

So, the network development was the same as OTL? Becaurse OTL the first election with the active use of the social media was US 2008 elections, and in 2010 social media played a role in the Arabian Sprind.
And in Russia, around 2010, one anti-corruption activist, named Alexey Navalny, started his YT bloge)))

2008 is more of a traditional campaign than OTL 2008. Tech is behind by around 3 years. Even when it does catch up, some of the major players (Amazon/Facebook/Netflix) are not on the scene.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier.

KOHP6sy.png

No Russian Olympics, but Almaty gets the Winter Olympics in 2018. After the spectacle of the 2016 Olympic Games (China pulls out all the stops), it was a pretty forgettable games (and compared to the previous Winter Games held in reunified Korea)

2008 is more of a traditional campaign than OTL 2008. Tech is behind by around 3 years. Even when it does catch up, some of the major players (Amazon/Facebook/Netflix) are not on the scene.
I’m happy to provide ideas on NYC 2012 games if you want/need any, that’s an alt-Olympics I’ve give a LOT of thought to.

I like the idea of a small tech lag; the iPhone (or something like it) purely being a creature of the 2010s is kinda neat

Yikes… Union in second would be really bad.

Also, interesting to note that Patten is resigning right before the ominous “7/17” date… probably not a coincidence.

Out of curiosity, what led to the downgrade?

PM stands down in emotional speech- well you had a good run Chris, time to go on your own terms after than forced out like some heh?

Portillo stands a chance I'd say. Grayling, Hague, Maude and Rifkind all have some name recognition I guess they might be in with a shout.

Most important news though, Prince William is engaged to a political activist? Who is Sam Cantera-Owens then?

PM stands down in emotional speech- well you had a good run Chris, time to go on your own terms after than forced out like some heh?

Portillo stands a chance I'd say. Grayling, Hague, Maude and Rifkind all have some name recognition I guess they might be in with a shout.

Most important news though, Prince William is engaged to a political activist? Who is Sam Cantera-Owens then?
Grayling would be interesting, if only because in addition to being a hipster choice he’d be also be a disaster

Yikes… Union in second would be really bad.

Also, interesting to note that Patten is resigning right before the ominous “7/17” date… probably not a coincidence.

Out of curiosity, what led to the downgrade?
The poll was a bit of an outlier, but the average for June 2007 is Labour 29%, Union 26%, Conservative 26%, Alliance 11%.

Well, 7/17 is the American month/date, rather than the British date/month format, so it actually is a bit of coincidence. (Modelled slightly similar to Gordon Brown's early in-tray)

Eh, chronic budget deficits, political instability (again hinted at in the "Most Viewed") and falling debtor confidence.

"Patten gets put down" is more the direction that the public and press have gone with it.

Portillo is the front-runner definitely. Similar to how Boris was in 2016. The Conservative leadership election is the next two updates, so there won't be long to wait to see if Portillo can stay in the race and not get railroaded by someone who is expected to be his close ally...

Well, its both a spoiler for the future challenges the monarchy will face, and a bit of an easter egg for RWRB. Sam Cantera-Owens, like TTL's William, born in 1986, is also fictional character. Andrew being killed in the Falklands, sees OTL William being called Andrew, or "Drew". The picture in the article is William (or at least a stand-in for William).

I've put in a bit of stuff about Drew/William from an earlier thread, for a bit more context. There is an update planned for the Royals.
Drew (OTL William but named after Prince Andrew) is still close with his mother and Will, born in 1986, (Harry doesn't exist in this world) is only 12 in 1998. Diana enjoys more of the custody rights/time with Will after the divorce (another reason why the press don't like her), with him leaving boarding school, to living almost exclusively with his mother and Dodi.

Tucker as press secretary! The briefings must be a grand old time.
Gingrich is going for the disrupter-in-chief rather than commander-in-chief and like his scattershot Cabinet, gets the best possible people in the White House too.

I’ll presume Portillo as the recognizable name (and the London Mayoralty under his belt), with Rifkind as the runner up otherwise. Grayling, maybe (he has the resume here), but Laws is probably too moderate.

I have a horrible feeling that Portillo will drop out and his support will transfer to Grayling, giving him the edge. Maude, Lansley or Laws seem the most ideal I suppose; Rifkind has good credentials but God would he be boring as PM moving forward.

2007 Conservative Party leadership election
A.N. To say 100k views is incredible is an understatement. Thank you for reading and thank you for supporting. And its fitting that one of my favourite updates, and one of the most consequential so far, marks this incredible milestone.

The 2007 elections was the end for Chris Patten. Local elections reflected the devolved elections which reflected the mayoral elections. Shedding thousands of councillors across the country, stumbling in London, Scotland and Wales, it was clear that voter at best apathy, at worst anger, ran far and wide.

Michael Portillo’s comments on Patten, reiterating that the PM needed to resign, if an expected intervention from a political rival in the party, was again a firing shot, as it was in the autumn of 2006. This time however, Patten was not alone in his criticism. When William Hague, the former Home Secretary, unceremoniously dumped by Patten in 2004 (with hindsight now seeing the sacking as the beginning of the end for the Patten), also announced that he had lost confidence in Patten’s leadership, Patten could no longer hold on.

It was clear too many in the Conservative Party that the last year had been one of inertia, stagnation and gridlock. A continuation of Patten, represented by Lansley, Rifkind and Maude, was not what was needed. Change was the buzzword and every candidates began scrambling to offer change.

Portillo was the man-to-beat. Having ran London for 8 years, then elected to a safe Conservative seat in London, Portillo could use his experience to boast of his experience and prove that he would be “ready from day one”, to steal Portillo’s campaign slogan. His entry into the race was expected, as was the significant number of MPs backing his campaign.

Having been first neutral (if privately against the common currency) in the 1999 ecu referendum and then outright campaigning against the EU constitution in 2006 gave him significant political capital within the Conservative Party and let him effectively make the argument that he was in-touch with “regular people” and could blunt the rise of Union by appealing to such regular people.

Portillo however, had his flaws. Ambitious to a tee, those who supported him on the backbenches did so out of craven political ambition, believing that he would be the next PM and wanted to back a winner. Those MPs who backed him were not loyal to him or his ideology, but saw the potential of a plum Cabinet position and ministerial promotions. Portillo’s lax work as a constituency MP and the way he carried himself had also done little to win over either the irreconcilable euroskeptics or the moderate and quiet MPs on the backbenches, with figures such as Edward Leigh and Francis Maude picking up ample support.

Portillo had also been a thorn in the side of Pattenites in the party, having attacked the PM for years and, as to be expected, a large section of the Conservative Party was adamantly opposed to him. Further, Portillo’s political viability had been depleted by his failed attempt in 2006 to force Patten’s resignation. Portillo was not the vote-winner he had been when he was London mayor, and serious questions were raised on how Portillo would perform in the general election.

Despite these pros and cons, it was anticipated that Portillo had enough support with MPs and MEPs to make it to the membership vote, regardless. As such, the initial phase of the leadership contest became a referendum on Portillo, with the other candidates positioning themselves as the “Anti-Portillo”.

The man expected to be the Anti-Portillo was William Hague. Hague, however, chose to sit out the race, shocking considering his ambition for the top job, his unjustified sacking in 2004 and his most recent public intervention against Patten which finally toppled his premiership. Hague either seemed set for retirement from public life in the next election, or had done a back-room deal with one of the candidates for a plum position in the next Cabinet.

It would be the ‘wunderkind’ David Laws who would claim this mantle. His years in Cabinet and had amassed him a significant support base in the party. Nicknamed the “Young Guns”, men such as David Laws, David Gauke, Nick Clegg, Mark Littlewood and Jeremy Browne, came to change the Conservative Party. Whilst on the liberal wing of the party, these men were economically austere and socially liberal but tinged by a reformist nature and a distrust of the welfare and nanny state. Pro-European but (unlike Patten who fully supported the more social and cultural aspects of EU membership) for economic reasons and motivations, was a tonic to many Conservatives who had never been comfortable with embracing Europe. Balancing the budget, instituting tax cuts, using the ecu and aligning economically with Germany was why Britain chose Europe.

With the European constitution dead in the water, and Brundtland’s Commission focused on the fallout from the annexation of Crimea, there was little to criticise (at least within Conservative ranks) about the EU aside from generic arguments regarding immigration and sovereignty. It would serve Laws well. If the election had been held in the aftermath of the European constitution debacle, those who supported the EU would be in a disadvantageous place.

Laws also had something different about him, something dynamic about him, something new. Young, attractive, charismatic, Laws preformed perfectly in the 24/7 news cycle, which Patten had never quite mastered. Portillo was a media man himself, but with the excitement surrounding Laws, the attention was on him.

The Home Office, the graveyard of political careers, had been relatively kind to Laws. Less activist than Hague, civil servants worked well with the more managerial Laws and good luck had avoided significant scandals or tragedies during his tenure. Even if immigration was a sore point as always, Laws could count his blessings.

As John Bercow, Chris Grayling and Edward Leigh divided the hard euroskeptics amongst themselves and Maude, Lansley and Rifkind found themselves with the Pattenites in the party, many names were felled before the first ballot.

Edward Leigh had a sizeable contingent of die-hard euroskeptic and social conservatives behind him, enough to dispatch Bercow and Grayling. Lansley and Rifkind divided support amongst themselves and Maude barely made it to the second round, withdrawing shortly after, rather than suffering embarrassment on the second ballot. There was no surprise in the second ballot, with Laws leapfrogging both Leigh and Portillo to win the most support of MPs and MEPs. It would be Laws v Portillo.

Of course, questions arose about both men’s sexualities. Laws, within the Westminster bubble was ‘out’, but to the wider public he was not. Portillo had dodged accusations of his sexuality throughout his political career. With both men tarred by homophobic rumours and poking questions from journalists, it was agreed that such matters were not right for such a campaign and most questions were either shut down or ignored by the candidates.

Political pundits and journalists expected Portillo to romp to victory in the members ballot. What they failed to recognise was that stringent membership rules instituted in 2006 meant that the expected flood of Union agitators or hard-right figures didn’t materialise. The membership of the Conservative Party was moulded by the moderate and long-lasting leaderships of Heseltine (1984-1993) and Patten (1995-2007).

While still more ‘small-c conservative’ than the parliamentary party, many members disliked Portillo’s continual sniping and blamed the man for the current state of the Conservative party. The man who wielded the knife should not win the subsequent election was a sentiment shared by many.

Laws, still relatively fresh-faced and relatively unknown to the public, was better able to sell the change narrative than Portillo, who had been at the forefront of politics since 1995. Polling showed that Laws would fare better than Portillo, as Union’s support seemed solid (a worrying sign of the level of political disenfranchisement in the late 2000s) and a significant number of moderates were willing to back a blank-slate candidate such as Laws.

In the many leadership hustings held across the country, Laws would enter with low expectations and often match and met them. Promising a return to fiscal responsibility, tax cuts and individual responsibility harked back to the martyred Thatcher era. Portillo preferring a BBC or ITN interview would struggle in a hustings environment and would often be on the backfoot. On top of this, Portillo was forced to defend some of scandals of his mayorship, including the many elitist champagne lunches and luxurious and often unnecessary trips to Europe, unnecessary distractions in the campaign.

It was still Portillo’s to lose. That was until Laws’ promise that any further changes/treaties implemented by the European Union would first need to be approved by a public referendum. This policy announcement, the brain-child of Laws confidant and fellow Conservative MP Nick Clegg, gave Laws significant cover with euroskeptics. It was Union’s main campaign promise and Laws had adopted it. It change the very nature of the race.

Portillo’s contrarian approach that he would not support such usages of referendums, lest the public approve the change, was quickly reversed but heavily damaged Portillo’s standing, and with Edward Leigh refusing to endorse Portillo’s bid, saw many hard euroskeptics either leave the Conservative party wholesale or abstain/spoil their leadership ballot.

When William Hague backed Laws’ leadership bid a few days after, it was clear who had the momentum. Polling of Conservative membership showed both men level by the end of the campaign.

And so by a narrow margin, 52%- 48%, not including spoilt ballots, David Laws had, against all the odds, emerged triumphant over Michael Portillo in the membership vote. As the cameras focused on Portillo, what should’ve been his moment, the crowning achievement of his political career had been stolen from him. The so-called “Portillo Moment” was born. Portillo's shell-shocked appearance and unenthusiastic clapping would be one of the last moments he would ever have the public and media spotlight on him.

7uCYzBT.png

As attention turned to David Laws, Britain had her youngest Prime Minister since Lord Liverpool. Promising a dynamic government, one which would deliver an “enabling society” which would allow people to succeed on their own merits, would cut taxes and balance the books, sounded like a tonic to many across the country.

Laws’ Cabinet was also a clear departure from Patten’s. Gone were stuffy, old, Etonian men who had been in ministerial positions since the 1970s, with fresh new talent was brought into government. Whilst one big beast returned, in William Hague, who returned to Cabinet as Chancellor and First Secretary of State, it would be new faces who would’ve dominated the papers. Caroline Spelman, David Gauke, Nick Clegg and David Willetts all entered Cabinet in prominent positions. While some Patten staples such as Malcolm Rifkind and Francis Maude remained in Cabinet, it was clear to all that their time was coming to a close, and had a position to balance the party, rather than for their experience. This was a new government, from top-to-bottom.

It should’ve dominated tomorrow’s news.

Instead, David Laws was woken up at 4AM by a phone call from his landline. His partner lay next to him, grumbling at the intrusion. Grabbing the landline blearily, a calm voice told the Prime Minister that there had been an attack in America, and that he needed to turn on the news. Security services had been put on high alert and a COBRA meeting was being scheduled for the morning. Laws put down the phone and fumbled for the television remote, but realised that the TV had yet to be connected to the aerial in his room. He stumbled out of bed and into the still half-unpacked living room.

A member of staff was already in the room, transfixed to the TV. As both looked at the horrific footage from New York, of ambulances, hazmat suits and bodies, Laws had a moment of clarity. He was completely, utterly, out of his depth.

Last edited:
PM David Laws heh? Well I guess we will see what the fallout from that will be apart from some good looking photo ops.

And right into a crisis as well? Heck of a start. A lot of people will be wonder 'how would Portillo have handled this one' if Laws makes a mess of this.

Hope the New York thing is not too bad, though if COBRA is being convened I suspect its really bad.

Laws as a Tory PM is a great choice - thought it’d be Portillo after the set up since the mid-90s, though one gets the distinct sense of a “he who wields the knife never wears the crown” effect, sort of like OTL Michael Gove. I’m really liking how you’re balancing out a more right wing, polarized USA with a more moderate UK.

And uh oh… curious what occurred in New York…

Wow, I have to congratulate you on an out of the hat choice with regards to David Laws. Got a good chuckle out of Portillo losing, the image is hard not to giggle over And I swear f Newt gets a 9/11 boost I'll be very grumpy about it. In a good way, of course!

Oh, what just happened in New York? Nothing good, methinks...
7/17 will be a day which lives in infamy.
PM David Laws heh? Well I guess we will see what the fallout from that will be apart from some good looking photo ops.

And right into a crisis as well? Heck of a start. A lot of people will be wonder 'how would Portillo have handled this one' if Laws makes a mess of this.

Hope the New York thing is not too bad, though if COBRA is being convened I suspect its really bad.
David Laws works as a pro-European, Heseltine/Pattenite Prime Minister. Also he's hella hipster and him becoming PM leads to a lot of interesting challenges and opportunities, not least personally.

He's not even been PM for a day and he's immediately into a 9/11-esque crisis. Whether he'll meet the challenge or flounder will define his term in office.

Laws as a Tory PM is a great choice - thought it’d be Portillo after the set up since the mid-90s, though one gets the distinct sense of a “he who wields the knife never wears the crown” effect, sort of like OTL Michael Gove. I’m really liking how you’re balancing out a more right wing, polarized USA with a more moderate UK.

And uh oh… curious what occurred in New York…
I'll be honest I built up both Laws/Portillo so much it couldn't be anything but those two duke it out in a leadership contest against each other. Portillo though is the Michael Gove of this universe, except his services will not be required in Cabinet. A retirement to the media circus (the BBC won't want to touch Portillo with a ten-foot pole) and probably a column in the Telegraph is what is waiting for Michael Portillo.

Eh, Britain's pretty polarised, it's just unlike in America the dominant centre-right party hasn't been hijacked by this polarisation.

Wow, I have to congratulate you on an out of the hat choice with regards to David Laws. Got a good chuckle out of Portillo losing, the image is hard not to giggle over And I swear f Newt gets a 9/11 boost I'll be very grumpy about it. In a good way, of course!
Thank you! The Portillo Moment should be one of those things which is a constant across universes and it just seems the perfect antidote to everything Portillo was/is.

Gingrich is going into 2008 underwater, so whether he'll get a sustained poll boost or more of a dead cat's bounce is still to be determined.

Quality of this timeline remains stunningly high
Thank you very much!