Look to the West Volume IX: The Electric Circus

Another fantastic installation Thande, and now we all have to eagerly await the next volume, and of course the 1957 map!

One question I don't think we ever got clarity on (or maybe even asked): The 1927 map says Italy lost its East African colony after the Romulans swept in, but...how exactly did that happen? Is it a regime-in-exile type deal, or is it actually "independent"?

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone.

One question I don't think we ever got clarity on (or maybe even asked): The 1927 map says Italy lost its East African colony after the Romulans swept in, but...how exactly did that happen? Is it a regime-in-exile type deal, or is it actually "independent"?
I think I mentioned it at some point but not sure - the idea is it basically reverted to local 'pirate' rule without much of an organised central government, which is the state it was in before the Italians arrived in the first place.

Well depends, it does seem they are somewhat less oil-dependent than OTL.. (or at least strating later). Might also be less personal cars than in, say, OTL's USA.

The fact this world used a couple dozen nukes in the '90s might have also set things back...

They’re less oil-dependent because they’re more coal-dependent, it seems. North America is shown to be denser with more mass transit but Europe is more car-reliant, coal steamers are in use in the 1950’s across most of the globe…

The whole technological paradigm seems a bit behind ours in most regards. Mainly in that the semi-conductors required for any of… 3D subsurface modeling that permits effective horizontal drilling and fracking, weather forecasting and modeling and control mechanisms for offshore wind, battery management for storage and EVs, and a host of other applications… seem to be decades behind. Materials science looks to be similar.

And a nuclear exchange wouldn’t cause any long-term disruption to the trend of a warming world, it’d just cover it up briefly (most estimates I’ve seen have it under 5 years).

I’m sure Thande has a twist coming as to why climate change is progressing more slowly than IOTL, but based on what we know as of 1956 my reaction would be gibbering panic.

IOTL we have much of the technological toolkit ( PV+wind+storage, BEVs, closed-cycle aviation fuels, alternative cementitious materials, enhanced weathering and carbon capture) to mitigate and even solve this problem with minimal disruption to our standard of living, if we get our shit together on policy. TTL does not and would seem to be decades away, and it should have much less slack to play with by the 2020’s.

What does the audience think of the generally earlier and less decolonization portrayed?
It’s interesting. My own priors are that with industrial modernity more widely spread starting earlier than IOTL, the pace of technological advancement would pick up considerably starting in the late 19th century. I’d have expected solid-state electronics, nuclear physics, and jet propulsion to all emerge significantly ahead of OTL and that lead to expand considerably by the present.

OTL’s “first world” is as close to as wealthy and replete with universities as it is in our world, but in addition we’ve got all of China, Russia, and Bengal, and much of South America, West Africa, and the Middle East participating in modernity and the resulting intellectual exchange in a way which was not true until the last two or three decades for some of those places IOTL.

Yet here many fields of science and technology seem behind by a decade or two. Only biosciences and chemistry are mostly running even, and applied rocketry is a handful of years ahead at best.

I really like how Danubia going to war subverted my expectations.

Danubia has oil but I wonder if lacking the Czech lands gives them a severe deficit in heavy industry.

I really like how Danubia going to war subverted my expectations.

Danubia has oil but I wonder if lacking the Czech lands gives them a severe deficit in heavy industry.
@LostInNewDelhi asked about what if a polity wants to join the societists partly due to local elite dissatisfaction with nationalism (e.g the princely states, old nobility) and the Czechs seem to be our answer to that.

Last edited:
Just as, because the Black Twenties were something from the last generation, clearly pandemics could never return. (Audience reaction) Exactly. I think all but the youngest of us in the audience will remember how foolish our assumptions lay a decade ago.
Has this been mentioned before? It's easy to lose track of these things.

Has this been mentioned before? It's easy to lose track of these things.
Yes, from the last thread:

Part #281: The Fourth Horseman

[...]

From: “The Nations Against Disease, Part 2 Pull-out and Keep Section” from the “Ultima Star”, Issue 903, Tuesday, November 13th 2012:

As what some are calling a ‘hyper-flu’ wreaks havoc across the world and many, less responsible, news sources fan the flames of panic, we at the Star think differently. This is a challenge which our ancestors will face before, and our descendants will face again—but, God willing, not forever. In the first part of our pull-out special, last week, we looked at past outbreaks of the deadly influenza virus and how the nations responded.[3] Yet, though we have controlled such outbreaks as we have learned more about the virus, we have yet to eliminate them. Though we have influenza vaccines (and are administering them at present), the virus comes in many strains and undergoes metallaxis so rapidly that it cannot be simply eradicated.[4]Rather than despair at this, let us take heart at the other diseases, once even more deadly than the ’flu, which the nations have obliterated from the world, to trouble us never again. Though the ’flu may be a greater challenge, like some Global Games champion we can look back on our past triumphs and know that one day we shall win the race with our most enigmatic foe from the world of pathogens.

Thande

Donor
Re the discussion upthread, I was 50-50 myself on whether climate change would be better or worse than OTL when writing that part because there are arguments for both, so I may revise that part if I'm convinced it should be the other.

Re the discussion upthread, I was 50-50 myself on whether climate change would be better or worse than OTL when writing that part because there are arguments for both, so I may revise that part if I'm convinced it should be the other.
It depends on exactly how developed China (particularly southern China), Russia, Bengal, and the Combine really are, and whether North America and Western/Central Europe are less so in some way.

From the way they’re portrayed, though, each of Russia and China seems to be within shouting distance of the ENA or France, akin to the level of development seen in Czechia or Northern Italy IOTL in the 1940’s and 50’s. Bengal is less discussed but also seems to be significantly wealthier than IOTL, perhaps akin to OTL’s Argentina at the time. Guinea, likewise, though to a lesser extent.

Meanwhile the Southern Cone was, pre-Combine, shown to be as wealthy and developed as the ENA, though less populous.

IOTL’s 1950, the fifth largest cumulative emitter of carbon after the US (100B metric tons), modern-day EU’s members (70B) UK (40B), and Russia (8B), was Canada (5B). The total was around 220-230B tons.

ITTL the largest cumulative emitter is likely to be the ENA, barely, but Russia and China will be right on its heels and set to surpass it soon, with Western and Central Europe not far behind, and Bengal right there. Russia might hit 10X or more OTL’s emissions and China and Bengal are probably closer to 30-40X.

And then there’s the Combine. Maybe even more than the ENA by 1950? Who knows? But certainly not the piddling contributions of OTL’s Argentina, Chile, or Brazil at that time.

That might well put the total above 600B.

Worse, with the lesser reliance on oil and thus natural gas, in favor of coal, and no breakthroughs in civilian nuclear power on the horizon before the 1970’s, we’ve baked that differential in until at least 1980. IOTL the figure was around 500B tons, ITTL it might be 1800B, versus today’s total of 1550B in 2020 IOTL.

Like I said, gibbering panic.

Considering how badly the situation is in OTL and that is with cleaner oil and some coal plus nuclear power, the entire world will probably be dealing with the effects of climate change. I can see the Combine actually using the situation to further justify their ideology as an attempt to create a single authority that would clean up the planet and keep humanity alive. Or they might suffer from it as they increasingly deal with refugees, changing climate, and mass disruption of crops.

Is it possible to get a smaller carbon load than OTL by a worse situation in Europe along the lines of For All Time the effects of a smaller market overall, with less industrialization elsewhere? Or a early 1950s scenario that leaves the US the only industrial power besides Argentina, Israel, South Africa, Australia..

Are there particular regions that are better/worse off than OTL? Can there be a conclusive sum of pluses/minuses?

Are there particular regions that are better/worse off than OTL? Can there be a conclusive sum of pluses/minuses?
That was what I took a stab at above.

Japan is worse off but in 1950 Japan’s contributions to climate change were mostly ahead of it IOTL. It’s possible South Africa is as well.

Set against that are Russia, China, Thailand, Bengal, West Africa, South America, Eastern Europe, and parts of the Middle East, which are all between “somewhat more industrialized” and “vastly more industrialized.” And the relevant technologies for decarbonization are behind.

The nukings of Petrograd and Zon1Urb1 don’t make sense - the Americans chose Hiroshima not Tokyo because they wanted a central government to surrender. Plus Urb1 will be drowning in rising sea levels so

Last edited:
The nukings of Petrograd and Zon1Urb1 don’t make sense - the Americans chose Hiroshima not Tokyo because they wanted a central government to surrender. Plus Urb1 will be drowning in rising sea levels so
The major decider for not nuking Tokyo was to avoid killing the Emperor to make surrender easier, I assume those two got picked under some "cut off the head" rationale.