Look to the West Volume IX: The Electric Circus

With the defacto independent Zonal Rejs how does occupation by (America, France, Guinea, Siam etc.) work
They'd carve off bits and force them together to approximate the pre-Societist nations and force everyone to larp those century old cultural stereotypes at gunpoint until they stick

I’ve really enjoyed the format and content of this latest volume. Bring on Volume 10! Just out of interest what is life like for the average Libyan living under the Alexandrine Empire in 1927?

Last edited:
I remember it, though only in the broadest strokes. I do remember it was cool with Isaac Brock becoming the Wellington equivalent as Lord Beardsley and I THINK getting his India-equivalent rise in the ranks in the *USA tho'.
Found the old revisions in the wiki page

Yapontsi cultural autocide is kind of implausible - tens of millions of people voluntarily giving up their language at the least

Yapontsi cultural autocide is kind of implausible - tens of millions of people voluntarily giving up their language at the least
Anti-Japaneseism is an ideology that actually existed OTL though, in general generations of having your culture crushed with horrific force can generate an urge to distance yourself from your ancestry as a survival mechanism.

Anti-Japaneseism is an ideology that actually existed OTL though, in general generations of having your culture crushed with horrific force can generate an urge to distance yourself from your ancestry as a survival mechanism.
It does seem pretty counterintuitive when all historic examples of this happening resulted in an ultranationalist backlash once they were finally liberated from imperialism. Also, from what I was able to find about anti-Japaneseism, it seems to have been a reaction to Japan’s crimes in WWII, whereas LTTW is the opposite scenario where they’re the ones being oppressed by foreign powers.

Japan as analogous to post-British India with a war of independence seems like a likelier outcome with the hans preserved - the British didn’t dissolve all the princely states after the sepoy mutiny. I get that direct rule from Petrograd is meant to imitate OTL Algeria/Ireland with the bloodiness of breaking off of an area considered an integral part of the metropole minus settlers, but wholesale dissolution seems too much.
Even a “we’re not societists but take aid from the Combine (and will turn on our societists once we win)” national-republicanism model makes more sense

Last edited:
From what I gather, Societist japan is a North Korean analogue, and North Korea is certainly a state that feels fake when you try to describe it.

Japan as analogous to post-British India with a war of independence seems like a likelier outcome with the hans preserved - the British didn’t dissolve all the princely states after the sepoy mutiny. I get that direct rule from Petrograd is meant to imitate OTL Algeria/Ireland with the bloodiness of breaking off of an area considered an integral part of the metropole minus settlers, but wholesale dissolution seems too much.
Even a “we’re not societists but take aid from the Combine (and will turn on our societists once we win)” national-republicanism model makes more sense
I was thinking something similar. The countries that we've seen go full-blown societist were either part of the UPSA's sphere or invaded by it later on, and the Gray Societists arose in multicultural empires. Since it's previously been established that many of the traditional nationalist rebels have been repeatedly crushed, the Combine could aid the Japanese Societists to damage Russia, regardless of their idiosyncratic views (like "hey our language has nothing to do with the Indo-European family, let alone Novalatina") and broader alliance with other rebel groups. Although the exact way they rise to power and role they play in the Sunrise War are still unknown, we do know that the Combine itself will be defeated and de-societized. In that scenario, the Japanese government could keep some trappings of societist aesthetics and rhetoric while still being about as nationalist as any other country.

I was thinking something similar. The countries that we've seen go full-blown societist were either part of the UPSA's sphere or invaded by it later on, and the Gray Societists arose in multicultural empires. Since it's previously been established that many of the traditional nationalist rebels have been repeatedly crushed, the Combine could aid the Japanese Societists to damage Russia, regardless of their idiosyncratic views (like "hey our language has nothing to do with the Indo-European family, let alone Novalatina") and broader alliance with other rebel groups. Although the exact way they rise to power and role they play in the Sunrise War are still unknown, we do know that the Combine itself will be defeated and de-societized. In that scenario, the Japanese government could keep some trappings of societist aesthetics and rhetoric while still being about as nationalist as any other country.
I do love the idea of Japan holding out, an island of Societism in a Diversitarian world, even if it is surface level.

I dreamed of a LTTW map update for 2011.
Although the Diversitarians are divided into American, French, Russian etc. blocks there doesn’t seem to be (post 1957) a concerted effort to “poach” for members.

Also, the second and third richest of the Indian states seems to be Bisnaga and Gujurat

Last edited:
This reminds me of one possible cause for the resurgence? Of societism - nationalism is associated with frankly reactionary abuses, Diversitarian propaganda aside
IMG_0661.jpeg

What would a TV trailer for LTTW look like?
Pivotal pts include
  • The declaration of ENA
  • The rise of the UPSA
  • The alt-French revolution
  • Many Indias
  • Russian Japan
  • The Feng
  • The Pandoric War
  • The Societist revolution

Pivotal pts include
  • The declaration of ENA
  • The rise of the UPSA
  • Many Indias
  • Russian Japan
  • The Feng
  • The Pandoric War
Forgetting Populist Wars and GAW.

Pivotal pts include
  • The declaration of ENA
  • The rise of the UPSA
  • Many Indias
  • Russian Japan
  • The Feng
  • The Pandoric War
Honestly my favourite part is still the "anticlimactic" moment, where the French revolutionary wars is just ended with the general shot by a man he wasn't even duelling because he was so done with it all. I think about that a lot. Hopefully that can be included somehow. It would be suitable if it seems like a legendary moment in the trailer, so no one suspects that it's that moment

I've said before that this is where a mass-market adaptation ought to focus. On the one hand there's the spectacular divergences (off-road steam engines, Utilitarian Paris) and on the other hand there's the familiar anchor points (Thomas Jefferson, a republican revolution), and on the gripping hand there's the parts that are familiar but recontextualized (the ENA, Leo Bone). There's a massive battle right at the end, and if you want to continue into the future people like John Alexander are right there.

Pivotal pts include
  • The declaration of ENA
  • The rise of the UPSA
  • Many Indias
  • Russian Japan
  • The Feng
  • The Pandoric War
I can't even imagine. Maybe as a History Channel style quasi documentary like The Men Who Built America, threading some acting for specific scenes along with history narration, but the sheer amount of space, time and history to cover would take like, many Seasons.

@Born in the USSA
Idea
- a timeline that reverses some of the themes of LTTW
- even more of the world being colonised (a la Separated at Birth) with the remainder divided between fewer western Empires (no Belgium for instance)
- the Four Great Empires: Britain, a *US [1] Russia and mainland Europe with 19th century puppet states in Europe, parts of Asia etc., a few independent states in South America, Anatolia, Arabia etc.

- only one (nuclear, global in scope) world war that results in the formation of a true world government with nuclear monopoly that views surviving separate national identities as something to be stamped out or at least subordinated to human identity
- lots of post apocalyptic interventions to crush warlords, reconstruct the world etc.

[1] The loss of the US drove British expansion in India (and eventually the Indian ocean Rim), and for other powers to compete with Britain

Last edited: