WI India without the Durranis

Based on my own limited understanding of Indian history, the Afghan invasion of India under the Durranis broke Maratha control of Northern India while leaving something of a power vacuum that spawned entities such as the Sikh states.

However, I do remember reading the case on the forum that the Maratha's couldn't have actually fully replaced the Mughals as the dominant power on the subcontinent even if they hadn't had their power broken at Panipat.

My question is simply if the Durranis never invaded India, and if no similar threat came from the West of India, what would the effects be on Indian history from there on out? Would the Marathas hold onto their control of the Punjab and the Ganges plain, or would her rule always be tenuous at best and fleeting? What would be the effects on the rest of India?

Most likely Maratha power in the Delhi continues to get relegated to the Mughal Emperor and the ruler on the Peacock Throne will become a very figurehead gradually losing all administrative and military power. The Sikh Holocaust would also be avoided and may completely change the rise of the Sikh Empire in the future.

Ranjit Singh could possibly be butterflied away or when he does rise perhaps have an even greater base of Sikh manpower draw his forces upon. The rest of India would see the utter crush of Afghan power. Balsamic was already planning on moving against Avadh and the Rohillas which would perhaps see the Nawab dethroned.

If such was to happen in Maratha style a princely family such as the Gharges would be chosen to be seated at Lucknow, like the Scindias of Gwalior and the Holkars of Indore. Perhaps down the line a HRE-style set up might have emerged under the title of Cchatrapati being elective, and with the Peshwas becoming a Shogun style title.